Skip to main content

Buildiing an 800 Plus Credit Score

A perfect FICO or Vantage 300 Credit Score is an 850.  The lowest score is a 300. An 800 plus credit score is excellent and what most people aspire to.  To earn an 800 plus credit score you must have at least three different credit sources, no missed payments in the last 7 years, Less than a 10% credit utilization, and an average credit history of at least 6 years.     


800 Plus Credit Score Requirements

The requirements for an 800+ score are rarely stated but here's what I have found:

  • You must have at least three sources of credit. An example  might be  two credit cards and a car loan. Three to five credit cards may get you there. If you add in a Personal line of credit, that will help.

  • You cannot have any missed payments in your credit history in the last 7 years. This is pretty much an absolute. Missed Payments will kill your credit score, especially when you are first starting to build your credit history.

  • You cannot have any Collections in your Credit History in the last 7 years.

  • Bankruptcy, I am not certain if you can achieve an 800+ score with a Bankruptcy in your credit history. I would be very surprized to see someone join the 800+ club with a bankruptcy in their history.  A Chapter 7 bankruptcy will stay on credit reports for 10 years from the filing date, while a Chapter 13 bankruptcy generally remains for seven years from the filing date.

  •  Your average credit history must be at least 6 to 7 years old.  If you are 18, You will need help by becoming an authorized user on multiple accounts since you cannot have credit in your own name until you are 18.  A credit history with just authorized user history will rank you high but credit managers will understand it is not your credit.

  • Your credit utilization needs to be under 10%. 

The 800 Plus Club

I have been an 800 Plus Club Member at different times.
I have had a few credit problems that have knocked me out of the 800+ club.

My First 800+ Problem

Several years ago I had a couple of HELOCs that expired and my loan officer did not inform me that they needed to be renewed. It was interesting as the other line of credit I had that did not expire would have easily covered the small amount I owed on the two lines that expired. I could not get these missed payments removed so I stayed out of the 800 Plus club for seven years. The highest I made it was 780 with the two missed payments in my Credit History.

Another 800 Plus Knockout

I spent $8,500 on a card with a $15,000 limit. I have just over $100,00 of available credit on my cards. Even though my credit utilization only went up to 9%, this knocked me out ofthe 800 plus club until the bill showed up. I paid off this card the following month and my score jumped back over 800.

It really is not a big problem if you are hovering around the 750 to 800 credit score.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 2 Building Good Credit

Building Good credit is easy but it takes time and a little bit of work. First, you'll need to establish credit. In time you will want to develop at least three different credit sources.  Here are some steps you can take if you cannot get a credit card with no credit: Get a secured credit card  Become an authorized user on someone else's credit card Take out a small loan or line of credit Get a Credit Builder loan What is a Secured Credit Card? A secured credit card is a type of credit card that requires a deposit to be made in order to open the account. The deposit acts as collateral for the card, which means that the credit card company will take the deposit if you don't make your payments. Secured credit cards help you build your credit score by demonstrating that you can repay your debts on time. When you apply for a secured credit card, you will need to provide the credit card company with a deposit.  The amount of the deposit will be the credit limit on your credit ca

Why I Wrote this Blog AND Why I Should Not have Writtten It

I have helped several friends with their credit scores.  It is really easy to get started and build a good credit score.  It is also really easy to Mess Up your Credit.  A friend who I helped with her credit recommended I write a book.  How to Mess up your Credit It is really simple to mess up your credit.  Get a credit card or loan and Miss One Payment by 30 days or more.    Why I should Not have written this Blog A good friend has sworn to never help anyone with their credit again.  He helped a friend (we will call him Johnny A.) who made about $25k per year.  This was several years ago.  Johnny had zero credit experience and no history and had been working for a couple of years. He was doing fine, driving his parents hand me down car with his own apartment and a little bit of money to spend.    My friend helped Johnny A. build his credit. In a couple of months Johnny had a 780 credit score and a couple of credit cards.  He bought an expensive used car (BMW) for $20,000 on a eight ye

How to Mess up Your Credit and One Way to Start to Fix Your Credit

 It is very easy to mess up your credit .  Get a loan and then miss payments or make them late.  The goal of the banks developing credit scores is to help them predict the likelihood of a customer missing a payment on the loan in the next year.  Simple Cure for Missed Payment There is a simple cure for a one missed payment that will often work.  I helped a friend, she had not bothered to make the payment on her auto tire loan.  Her bill was only $40 per month and she just decided not to make it one month.  It killed her credit score.   I had her make all of her payments on time for six months.  She wanted to pay it off but I told her she was better off to not pay it off and just make the normal payments plus one on time.   After six months of making her payments on time I had her call her lender from the tire store.  I had her very nicely ask the customer service agent for help.  She said it was an accident that she missed the payment and could the agent help her?  It worked, the Custo